Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Monday night – Thursday night, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning
- Friday night, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday morning
- Saturday night, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday morning
- Sunday night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday morning
Overnight Detours on Military Highway at the I-64 Overpass
Motorists should be prepared for overnight detours on northbound and southbound Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., the following morning on the following dates:
- Sunday evening, July 18 - northbound only
- Monday evening, July 19 - northbound only
- Sunday evening, July 25 - northbound and southbound
- Monday evening, July 26 - northbound and southbound
- Tuesday evening, July 27 - northbound
- Wednesday evening, July 28 - southbound
- Thursday evening, July 29 - northbound
- Friday evening, July 30 - southbound
- Sunday evening, Aug. 1 - southbound only
- Monday evening, Aug. 2 - southbound only
Motorists should follow the detours below. Detour information will also be designated with signage along the roadway.
Traveling North on Military Highway
- Right to on-ramp to I-64W towards Virginia Beach
- Take exit 296 to George Washington Highway
- Turn left on George Washington Highway
- Take the on-ramp to I-64E towards Suffolk
- Take exit 297 to Military Highway
Traveling South on Military Highway
- Right onto the I-64 ramp toward Suffolk
- Take left exit 299B to I-664 toward Bowers Hill | Suffolk | Newport News
- Take exit 13B to Military Highway
- Turn right at the intersection of Military Highway/Joliff Road to continue on W. Military Highway
- Turn right onto the I-64E / I-264 ramp (in front of Frank’s Truck Stop)
- Keep right to I-64 WB toward Virginia Beach, Exit 15B
- Take exit 297 to Military Highway
Exit Ramp 296 on I-64 West Closed, July 22, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The exit ramp from I-64 west to George Washington Highway (exit 296) will be closed overnight from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the night of July 22.
Motorists traveling on I-64 west towards Virginia Beach should take exit 297 to Military Highway and follow detour signs to turn right on George Washington Highway.
Bridge widening construction activities taking place at I-64 overpass on Shell Road, Military Highway, and Yadkin Road.
- Temporary road closures and flagging operations on local roadways may also be necessary for the safety of our workers and traveling motorists. All road closures will be announced in advance with variable message boards on the roadways and on the traffic alerts section this project website.
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
- Access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road is currently restricted. Additionally, there are no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road allowed. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard are able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Speed Limit Reduction
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Effective July 1st, 2020, it is illegal to hold a handheld personal communications device (e.g., a smart phone) while driving a moving motor vehicle on the highways in Virginia.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here