Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 287) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Monday night – Thursday night, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning
- Friday night, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday morning
- Saturday night, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday morning
- Sunday night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday morning
Slow rolls with stoppages of up to 20 minutes on I-64 east starting as early as 9 p.m.:
- On Oct. 28 at the Yadkin Road overpass
- On Oct. 29 at the Shell Road overpass
New work zone on I-64 west near the Great Bridge Boulevard overpass
The collector-distributor lanes (outside lanes) have been reduced from two lanes to one lane from Great Bridge Boulevard to just west of the Battlefield Boulevard exit. All exit ramps will remain open during this new traffic pattern.
This traffic shift will be in place for several months to allow crews to safely remove the existing concrete barrier wall that separates the interstate lanes from the collector-distributor lanes, install new pavement, and complete other construction activities to facilitate the new future travel lanes that will tie into the new High Rise Bridge currently under construction.
While the new traffic pattern is in place, motorists are reminded to obey the reduced 55 mph speed limit, be prepared for the new work zone, and be mindful of crews working on the interstate.
Construction activities at the Shell Road I-64 overpass began in April and will continue into fall. Typical daily work hours are from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- With construction progressing, residents and businesses can expect noise and may feel minor vibrations due to pile driving and other construction activities in the vicinity. Instances may occur where activities exceed past 5 p.m.; however, per City of Chesapeake noise ordinance, all excessive loud noise activities will be suspended between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following morning unless otherwise approved and the public has been notified.
- Temporary road closures and flagging operations on local roadways may also be necessary for the safety of our workers and traveling motorists. All road closures will be announced in advance with variable message boards on the roadways and on the traffic alerts section this project website.
Lane Reduction at Military Highway Under the I-64 Overpass
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
- Access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road is currently restricted. Additionally, there are no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road allowed. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard are able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Speed Limit Reduction
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Starting July 1 - it is against Virginia law to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving through a highway workzone. Offenders will be fined $250. To read more about the law, click here.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here