Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
• November 17-21, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
• November 22, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
• November 23, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
• November 24, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Construction Continues on Firman Street Site
- The intial construction of the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal has been completed, but additional testing and monitoring at the site continue along with the construction of the retaining walls and support structures. To learn more about the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal, click here.
Lane Reduction at Military Highway Under the I-64 Overpass
- Southbound Military Hwy will be reduced to one lane where it passes under I-64 in Chesapeake beginning February 25 through December 2019. This will allow crews to widen I-64 over Military Highway for the 64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge project.
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
Beginning March 2019 access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road will be restricted. Additionally, there will be no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard will be able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Great Bridge Boulevard Construction Site
- The new Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge will be wider than the existing bridge to allow for the construction of the new High Rise Bridge and new interstate lanes.
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Starting July 1 - it is against Virginia law to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving through a highway workzone. Offenders will be fined $250. To read more about the law, click here.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here