Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
As part of the ongoing construction of the new high rise bridge, motorists can expect a FULL ROADWAY CLOSURE AND DETOUR on I-64 near the High Rise Bridge on the following dates:
- Saturday, October 19 at 11 p.m. to Sunday, October 20 at 6 a.m.
- Sunday, October 20 at 11 p.m. to Monday, October 21 at 4 a.m.
- Saturday, November 2 at 11 p.m. to Sunday, November 3 at 6 a.m.
- Sunday, November 3 at 11 p.m. to Sunday, November 4 at 4 a.m.
Motorists traveling on I-64 Westbound (towards Virginia Beach) will be detoured at Exit 296 (US-17/ George Washington Highway) and continue on the following detour:
- Left on George Washington Highway (US-17 North)
- Right on S. Military Highway
- Cross the Gilmerton Bridge
- Exit right to 464 S
- Exit 1A to 64 W (towards Virginia Beach)
- Continue on 64 W
Motorists traveling on I-64 Eastbound (towards Bowers Hill) will be detoured at Exit 291A to I-464
- Exit 291A to I-464
- Exit 2 to Military Highway (US-13)
- Left on S. Military Highway (US-13 South)
- Cross the Gilmerton Bridge
- Exit right to I-64
The current High Rise Bridge span will be open during this detour to allow construction crews to drive piles for the new bridge on the river.
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Starting July 1 - it is against Virginia law to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving through a highway workzone. Offenders will be fined $250. To read more about the law, click here.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- October 13-17, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- October 18, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- October 19, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Construction Continues on Firman Street Site
- As construction advances on the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal, crews will begin mobilizing equipment Monday, July 8 and begin pile driving as early as Wednesday, July 10. Residents and motorist should expect additional noise as the piles are driven and construction continues. To learn more about the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal, click here.
Lane Reduction at Military Highway Under the I-64 Overpass
- Southbound Military Hwy will be reduced to one lane where it passes under I-64 in Chesapeake beginning February 25 through December 2019. This will allow crews to widen I-64 over Military Highway for the 64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge project.
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
- Beginning March 2019 access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road will be restricted. Additionally, there will be no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard will be able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Great Bridge Boulevard Construction Site
- The new Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge will be wider than the existing bridge to allow for the construction of the new High Rise Bridge and new interstate lanes.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here