Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
• Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Mondays - Thursdays, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Fridays, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Saturdays, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Sundays, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Overnight Directional Closures on I-64 near the Great Bridge Boulevard Overpass in Chesapeake
As part of the ongoing construction of the I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Project motorists can expect nightly detours, first of westbound I-64, then of eastbound I-64 near the Great Bridge Boulevard overpass (between exits 292 and 291B) beginning as early as Saturday night, July 11, through as late as early Friday morning, July 24.
Full directional closure will be in place each night from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m with only one direction of the interstate detoured at a time.
These closures will allow crews to erect beams for the new Great Bridge Boulevard Overpass over I-64.
This construction work and detours which are weather- and schedule-dependent will be coordinated with the full directional closures on I-264 in Virginia Beach. VDOT will provide regular status updates during the course of the work via social media as well as digital signage throughout the corridor.
Motorists traveling westbound on I-64 (towards Virginia Beach) will be detoured at Exit 296 (US-17/ George Washington Highway) and continue on the following detour:
- Left on George Washington Highway (US-17 North)
- Right on S. Military Highway
- Cross the Gilmerton Bridge
- Exit right to 464 S
- Exit 1A to 64 W (towards Virginia Beach)
- Continue on 64 W
Motorists traveling eastbound on I-64 (towards Bowers Hill) will be detoured at Exit 291A to I-464 and continue on the following detour:
- Exit 291A to I-464
- Exit 2 to Military Highway (US-13)
- Left on S. Military Highway (US-13 South)
- Cross the Gilmerton Bridge
- Exit right to I-64
Detour on Shell Road at the I-64 Overpass, June 15 - August 24
Shell Road will be closed to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic at the I-64 overpass beginning as early as Monday morning, June 15 through Monday evening, August 24.
Motorists should use South Military Highway, Canal Street and George Washington Highway to navigate around this closure. Detour information will also be designated with signage along the roadway.
Residents off Firman Street will be able to turn left out of the neighborhood onto Shell Road. All residents on Shell Road will maintain driveway and delivery access during this detour.
This closure will allow construction crews to safely continue work on the widening of the I-64 overpass as part of the I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Project.
Pardon our Noise
With construction progressing, residents and businesses can expect additional noise due to pile driving and other construction activities in the close vicinity of the various construction sites. Excessive loud noise activities will be ceased between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following morning unless otherwise announced. To see the construction schedule and map, click here.
Construction Continues on Firman Street Site
The intial construction of the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal has been completed, but additional testing and monitoring at the site continue along with the construction of the retaining walls and support structures. To learn more about the tidal gate at the Gilmerton Canal, click here.
Construction activities at the Shell Road I-64 overpass began in April and will continue into fall. Typical daily work hours are from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- With construction progressing, residents and businesses can expect noise and may feel minor vibrations due to pile driving and other construction activities in the vicinity. Instances may occur where activities exceed past 5 p.m.; however, per City of Chesapeake noise ordinance, all excessive loud noise activities will be suspended between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following morning unless otherwise approved and the public has been notified.
- Temporary road closures and flagging operations on local roadways may also be necessary for the safety of our workers and traveling motorists. All road closures will be announced in advance with variable message boards on the roadways and on the traffic alerts section this project website.
Lane Reduction at Military Highway Under the I-64 Overpass
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
- Access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road is currently restricted. Additionally, there are no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road allowed. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard are able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Speed Limit Reduction
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Starting July 1 - it is against Virginia law to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving through a highway workzone. Offenders will be fined $250. To read more about the law, click here.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here