Lane Closures and Project Impacts
Please note: all schedules are dependent on weather and unexpected delays.
Weekend Closure of I-64 West Exit Ramp 292 to Great Bridge Boulevard beginning 11 p.m. on Friday, May 21 through Monday, May 24 at 5 a.m.
The exit ramp from I-64 west to Great Bridge Boulevard (exit 292A) will be closed beginning at 11 p.m. on Friday, May 21, through Monday, May 24, at 5 a.m.
Motorists traveling on I-64 west towards Virginia Beach should follow detour signs utilizing:
- Exit 291A to 464N
- Exit 1 to 64E
- Exit 291B to 168SB
- Right exit to Great Bridge Boulevard
End Detour on Great Bridge Boulevard
Exit Ramp 290B on I-64 West Closed, May 17-20, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The exit ramp from I-64 west to Battlefield Boulevard south (exit 290B) will be closed each night beginning Monday, May 3, through Friday, May 7, and again Monday, May 10 through Tuesday, May 11, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., the following morning.
Motorists traveling on I-64 west towards Virginia Beach should follow detour signs utilizing Exit 290A and follow the cloverleaf to access Battlefield Boulevard south.
Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Monday night – Thursday night, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning
- Friday night, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday morning
- Saturday night, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday morning
- Sunday night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday morning
Construction activities at the Shell Road I-64 overpass. Typical daily work hours are from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- With construction progressing, residents and businesses can expect noise and may feel minor vibrations due to pile driving and other construction activities in the vicinity. Instances may occur where activities exceed past 5 p.m.; however, per City of Chesapeake noise ordinance, all excessive loud noise activities will be suspended between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following morning unless otherwise approved and the public has been notified.
- Temporary road closures and flagging operations on local roadways may also be necessary for the safety of our workers and traveling motorists. All road closures will be announced in advance with variable message boards on the roadways and on the traffic alerts section this project website.
Restricted Access at Libertyville Road and Bainbridge Blvd Intersection
- Access to Bainbridge Boulevard from Libertyville Road is currently restricted. Additionally, there are no turns from Bainbridge Boulevard onto Libertyville Road allowed. Motorists traveling on Bainbridge Boulevard are able to continue straight through the Libertyville Road intersection.
Speed Limit Reduction
The speed limit on I-64 corridor work zone from Battlefield Boulevard to Bowers Hill has been reduced to 55 mph for the safety of motorists and workers. Please eliminate distractions while driving through work zones. Effective July 1st, 2020, it is illegal to hold a handheld personal communications device (e.g., a smart phone) while driving a moving motor vehicle on the highways in Virginia.
Sign up for project updates and major traffic alerts straight to your inbox: Subscribe Here